ALTERNATE TAPE DRIVE SOURCE FOR SPARC IPC?

Roger Gonzalez rg at msel.unh.edu
Thu Apr 25 01:08:07 AEST 1991

The subject says it all.  We're buying several Sparc IPC's and
outfitting one of them as a server.  I've chosen to mostly ignore
Sun's server package (except the CD pack), because I think that
I would rather get a 1.2Gb drive from Fast Access for $2198 than
have to pay Sun $3075 (after discount) for a 669Mb drive.  I'd like
to do the same with the tape drive, since Sun wants $4425 for a
8mm 2.3Gb tape drive.  (Who makes these drives?)  Are there any
good sources for tape drives that work with Sparcs?  I really don't
need a full 2.3Gb anyway; I'd be happy with 1Gb, or even 500Mb.
I've been making due with the 60Mb cartridges for my 3/160 for so
long that I can't imagine anything bigger...

Thanks,
Roger
--
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
 than the question of whether a submarine can swim" - Edsgar W. Dijkstra