Performance of Dump

Peter W. Flur flur at eecom.gatech.edu
Thu Apr 11 22:21:07 AEST 1991

I am using an exabyte attached to a Sun for dumps of several different types of machines
on our network including Suns, NeXT's, Dec's, and HP workstations.  When I dump from a
Sun to the dump host (a Sun), every thing works great and the transfer  is blazingly
quick.  However, when I do a dump from a NeXT (running 1.0a)  or one of the HP workstations
(running HP/UX), the dump works, but it is noticeably slower than dumping another Sun
with larger disks.   For example, a full dump of a NeXT with a 330MB (280MB used) drive
takes roughly (these are estimates but close in magnitude) 45-60 minutes.  A Sun with a
660MB drive (270MB used) takes less than 15 minutes.  Both machines are dumped from the
tape host through a shell script as follows:
rsh workstation rdump 0nubsdf 1024 6000 54000 tapehost:/dev/exabyte /partition
where the obvious substitutions are made with the appropriate names.

Can anyone offer a reason why these other machines are significantly slower than the
suns, and more importantly, can someone offer a solution to speed them up?

Thanks,
Peter

		    Peter Flur, Research Engineer
		   Georgia Institute of Technology
      School of Electrical Engineering, Atlanta, GA  30332-0250
		     E-MAIL: flur at ee.gatech.edu
			PHONE: (404) 853-9355