Powerfailure daemon ??? (Help/inspiration needed)

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Sat Apr 13 04:50:07 AEST 1991

In article <mds.671373695 at iddth2> mds at iddth.id.dk (Impedantzer (EMP)) writes:
>Here comes the interesting part: they have the UPS but they *don't* have
>the daemon to shut down the machine. Are there anybody out there
>with a similar system willing to share his/her knowledge with my
>friend? Perhaps a sample program og something like that. The general idea
>is that the daemon reacts on an interrupt from the UPS.

I recently wrote and posted such a daemon to comp.sources.misc.  It is
written for system 5, if you are on a BSD system you'd have to hack it
a bit.  My UPS has a serial port and I've cabled it to a tty on my UNIX
box.  It raises DCD when it goes on battery backup power, and it drops
DCD when it goes back to online power.  That's enough to build a daemon
around.  You need to find out how your UPS signals power loss and power
restored in order to write a daemon.  Send me email if you have any
questions regarding the daemon I wrote.
Arthur W. Neilson III		| INET: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pilikia!art