help remote print to bsd from sysV

Dave Rand dlr at daver.bungi.com
Wed Jan 9 20:34:30 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan8.201844.7532 at intelhf.hf.intel.com> snelson at ptdcell0.intel.com (shannon nelson) writes:
>In article <1991Jan7.173643.18472 at jato.jpl.nasa.gov> mwette at mr-ed.jpl.nasa.gov (Matt Wette) writes:
>>We have several printers attached to machines running SunOS 4.1 and
>>have a couple of SysV machines that would like to use these printers.
>>What's the best way to do this?
>As Matt asks above, is there a best way to do this?  Has anyone else
>tried something similar?  Is there already a program in the Usenet
>archives for this?

Yes. The patches for lpr/lpd to run on System V have been posted to
alt.sources, and I have made them available via mail for quite some
time now. Here is the readme.

Mon May 21 12:49:15 PDT 1990

While 386/ix (tm Interactive) has a number of network services from BSD,
lpr is not one of them. This does not cause a real problem, as the
shell scripts of lp can be used to perform remote printing. It is
not a very good solution when interacting with other Sun or BSD
systems.

Jonathan C. Broome <wilbur!jon> did the original port to 386/ix from the
freed lpr sources. I added a few modifications, and re-did the context
diffs from the tar file on uunet (~ftp/bsd-sources/src/network/lpr.tar.Z)

No guarantee that this will work for you, but it works for me.

To use:

Unpack the shell archive, then apply the two patch files lpr.diff.1
and lpr.diff.2 with patch. The unaltered source files from the lpr
tar file must be used. The C files included must be in the lpr
directory.

Dave Rand
{pyramid|mips|sun|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr at daver.bungi.com
--