Forcing actions at login

David Cornutt cornutt at freedom.msfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 24 05:31:51 AEST 1991

.nl>

hansm at cs.kun.nl (Hans Mulder) writes:

[replying to my entry in the Stupid Login Tricks contest]
>It won't work on most systems, as the C shell ignores .cshrc and
>.login files not owned by the effective uid, for security reasons.

I have not encountered this.  If it's true, then the other suggestion
(of having everyone's .login/.cshrc owned by root) won't work either.

You're correct in that there isn't a good way to prevent the ambitious
users from modifying their shell setup somehow, short of totally
locking them into a captive environment where they never see a prompt.

--
David Cornutt, New Technology Inc., Huntsville, AL  (205) 461-6457
(cornutt at freedom.msfc.nasa.gov; some insane route applies)