Forcing actions at login

Hans Mulder hansm at cs.kun.nl
Fri Jan 25 02:47:50 AEST 1991

In article <8834 at sail.LABS.TEK.COM> terryl at sail.LABS.TEK.COM writes:
>In article <1991Jan23.191016.20988 at mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
>>In article <2679 at wn1.sci.kun.nl> hansm at cs.kun.nl (Hans Mulder) writes:
>>>
>>>You really should try these things before posting them.
>>>
>>>It won't work on most systems, as the C shell ignores .cshrc and
>>>.login files not owned by the effective uid, for security reasons.
>>>

>>You really should try these things before posting them.
>>
>> Many versions of C shell will execute a .login file owned by root, even if
>>root is not the effective ID.
>
>     You both should look at the code before posting guesses as to what REALLY
>is happening.		[ Explanation of what is really happening deleted. ]

I disagree.

One should not have to look at the source, it's the vendor's
responsibility to make the source match the man page, especially
if he is selling a binary-only distribution.

In the case, the source should be changed to do what the man page says.

Neil, you are telling to me to try things out before posting, and you
didn't include the paragraph in my posting where I mentioned that Sun
got in wrong in SunOS 4.1.1.  How, exactly, do you think I found out?

Have a nice day,

hans Mulder	hansm at cs.kun.nl