Forcing actions at login

Simon J Gerraty sjg at melb.bull.oz.au
Tue Jan 22 13:35:43 AEST 1991

In <1991Jan16.000012.26467 at lokkur.dexter.mi.us> scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) writes:
>Different sites have different needs.  There's many a time I've
>*desperately* needed to set something for *all* users *all* the time
>(Hi Bill!).  Without a global setup file the only solution is to modify

I agree.  Of course you don't have to slash your wrists if your
vendor did not build global init file support into your c-shell.

I just create global files /etc/csh.{login,cshrc} and source
these in the default .login,.cshrc files that users are provided
with.

Eg.
# .cshrc 1.1
# pick up the standard environment
source /etc/csh.cshrc
# place personal commands here

Of course this approach does not _force_ the use of
/etc/csh.cshrc since users can always remove the source line.
In practice however they do not - after all, I only put useful
things in the global files anyway :-)

--
Simon J. Gerraty		<sjg at melb.bull.oz.au>

#include <disclaimer,_witty_comment>