Setting up an anonymous FTP site..

John Sfetsas giani at nexus.YorkU.CA
Thu Jan 17 03:02:07 AEST 1991

>I remember seeing some guidelines on setting up anon ftp servers
>some while ago - & can't find them just now ...
>
>So: I want to set up a *SECURE* anonymous ftp server on a Sun3/60 under
>SunOS4.1 - what do I need to do?
>
>Or where should I look in order to RTFM ??
>
>Thanks
>Aidan

The procedure you have to follow in order to create an anonymous FTP site
is as follows :

1. Create an account called "ftp". Disable the account by placing an
   asterisk (*) in the passwd field. Give the account a special home
   directory, such as /usr/ftp or /usr/spool/ftp.

2. Make the home directory owned by "ftp" and unwritable by anyone:
     # chown ftp ~ftp
     # chown 555 ~ftp

3. Make the directory ~ftp/bin, owned by the super-user and unwritable by
   anyone. Place a copy of the ls program in this directory:
     # mkdir ~ftp/bin
     # chown root ~ftp/bin
     # chmod 555 ~ftp/bin
     # cp -p /bin/ls ~ftp/bin
     # chmod 111 ~ftp/bin/ls

4. Make the directory ~ftp/etc, owned by the super-user and unwritable by
   anyone. Place copies f the password and group files in this directory,
   with all the password fields changed to asterisks (*). You may wish to
   delete all but a few of the accounts and groups of these files; the
   only account that must be present is "ftp".
     # mkdir ~ftp/etc
     # chown root ~ftp/etc
     # chmod 555 ~ftp/etc
     # cp -p /etc/passwd /etc/group ~ftp/etc
     # chmod 444 ~ftp/etc/passwd ~ftp/etc/group

5. Make the directory ~ftp/pub, owned by "ftp" and world-writable. Users
   may then place files that are to be accessible via anonymous FTP in this
   directory:
     # mkdir ~ftp/pub
     # chown ftp ~ftp/pub
     # chmod 777 ~ftp/pub