How many administrators needed per site?

Steve Rikli steve at archone.tamu.edu
Thu Jan 17 07:20:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan15.230613.8451 at rastro.uucp> boyko at rastro.uucp (christina boyko) writes:

> What's the average administrator-to-machine ratio?
>
> 1:20, 1:50, 1:100? (This assumes that the users do absolutely
> no administrative tasks.---They don't even have root access.)
>(My personal feeling is 1:25 at most, but management thinks 1:60....)
>
> How about the average administrator-to-USER ratio. Is it different
> from admin:machine?

Here in the College of Architecture's Visualization Lab, we have

	- a sun4 server
	- ~15 sun3's
	- ~10 sparc's
	- 2 NeXT's
	- 8 SGI's of various flavors
	- 40-odd PC's
	- 30-odd Mac's

There are approximately 100 users with active accounts, but I would
say only about 20-30 are regular users.

Of the Mac's and PC's, only a handful have direct connections to the
server, so they are not directly our concern.  In addition, there
are various printers, scanners, and other peripherals that fall under
our jurisdiction.

The "we" above consists of a full-time system administrator, and a
half-time assistant system-administrator (who is a grad student).
There is also a full-time staff member to handle most Mac and PC
problems, so there will naturally be some overlap.

         /  steve at archone.tamu.edu   /   Work:  (409) 845-3465    /
        /  srr2632 at sigma.tamu.edu   /   Home:  (409) 696-0910    /
      /  Steve Rikli, Assistant System Manager                 /
     /  Visualization Lab, College of Architecture            /
    /  Texas A&M University                                  /
   /  College Station, TX 77844                             /