UNIX accounting by project

Chris Lewis clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
Thu Jan 31 16:36:57 AEST 1991

In article <671 at ncr-mpd.FtCollins.NCR.COM> csvisys%cad at MCC.COM (Susan Davis) writes:

|I need help with UNIX accounting.  We need to be able to do project level
|accounting on our Sun/Solbourne network.  It is possible that a user could
|work on several projects during a given time frame.  We do not want to
|force the users to use separate accounts for each project however it would be
|acceptable for the user the run a "change" script when they needed to change the
|project used during any login session.

Create a groupid for each project.  Then, each user need only change group
to the appropriate group (with newgroup) whilst working on the project.
I believe that it's relatively easy to get standard System V to report
per-group rather than per-user.
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis
Moderator of the Ferret Mailing List (ferret-request at eci386)
Psroff enquiries: psroff-request at eci386, current patchlevel is *7*.