Sys 5.3 vi file-size limit?

Craig Campbell craig at attcan.UUCP
Fri Jan 18 07:12:14 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan14.090434.2296 at hawkmoon.MN.ORG> det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
>jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>
>>This
>>isn't a ulimit problem; I've verified that vi (like all the rest
>>of my applications) has the largest ulimit that I've convinced
>>the system to accept, much large than half a Mbyte.
>
>I'm confused here.  The ulimit basically applies to a particular shell session
>and is not attachable to a specific application, like vi.  Perhaps you meant to
>say that "I have verified that my ulimit is >>.5MB?"

ulimit is an attribute inherrited from the parent by all child processes.
Unless a program is running an effective uid of root, its ulimit may only be
decreased.

I beleive that John Chambers is completely correct.  Remember that a particular
shell session is merely a process running for a time.  This process may spawn
children (you run other programs).  All the rules still apply in full force.