help remote print to bsd from sysV

Bruce M. Walker bmw at isgtec.uucp
Thu Jan 10 12:08:14 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan7.173643.18472 at jato.jpl.nasa.gov> mwette at mr-ed.jpl.nasa.gov (Matt Wette) writes:
> We have several printers attached to machines running SunOS 4.1 and
> have a couple of SysV machines that would like to use these printers.
> What's the best way to do this?
> 	1. try to port lpd to sys V machines (Source is available from
> 	   Berkeley, I believe.)
> 	2. write custom program to ftp files and run remote process
> 	3. ???

Stevens, in his book "Network Programming", gives an lpr client as one
of his examples. You can FTP the code from the book from:

	uunet.uu.net: pub/netprog.tar.Z

Or, I could mail you a hack I did.  I started with LPR.C from PC/IP and
now I have lpr, lpq and lprm for SysV (tested on Convergent Tech. and
SGI), but there is almost no LPR.C code left :-)

--
bmw at isgtec.uucp  [ ..uunet!utai!lsuc!isgtec!bmw ]  Bruce Walker