Can't kill process!

Walter Rowe rowe at cme.nist.gov
Fri Jun 28 00:22:40 AEST 1991

Joe P. DeCello <jpd at tardis.cl.msu.edu> writes:

> I have this problem with alot of processes which use /dev/rsx0.
> Is there a way to kill this monger without rebooting.

Sounds like your process is hung in a device-wait state.  What does a
`ps ax' show as the status of the process?  If its in a device-wait,
it will not get the signal until the process returns from some device
driver routine (eg. open, close, read, write, ioctl).

When executing kernel code, its my understanding that signals are not
received until the process exits that code (ie. one of the calls
mentioned above completes - there are other calls as well that might
cause this problem depending on the circumstances).

wpr
---
Walter Rowe             rowe at cme.nist.gov           ...!uunet!cme-durer!rowe
National Institute of Standards and Technology / U.S. Department of Commerce