NFS mounts over other files

Bill Shirley bill at gothamcity.jsc.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 25 01:56:16 AEST 1991

Question:
	I am mounting a filesystem using NFS (from one Sun 4 SPARCstation
 to another).  I know that if I mount it onto a directory with files in it,
 the files become unavailable.  Is it a bad idea to do this or not?
 Specifically, I want /usr/lib/X11 files to be contained on one machine
 (there is a lot of font info that takes up space).  But if the server or
 network is down, I want the others to be able to startup X (and for that
 they need minimal font files, rgb files, ...).  I already
 have put important executables (X (server), xterm, ...) on each machine,
 but have the frills on the server (oclock, xcal, ...).

 I have RTFM, but failed to find a mention of "mounting over" files.

--
     ____      ____      ____			Bill Shirley
    / ___|    / ___|    / ___|			bill at gothamcity.jsc.nasa.gov
   |_|omputer|_|ciences|_|orporation		_______________________________
    _             _     _			Opinions expressed are obtained|
   | |___     ___| |   | |___			by a room full of immortal apes|
    \____|   |____/     \____|			with unbreakable typewriters.  |