File Ownership change

pd at pd pd at pd
Fri Jun 7 22:57:23 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 5 Jun 91 23:46:41 GMT, young at esvax.hamavnet.com said:

Brian> Hello,

Brian> I am running a Unix System V machine based on the Motorola 88K.  When I create
Brian> a new user with login in id of ted, I can (as super user) look at his directory
Brian> ls -ali and can see that ted owns the files.  However, when ted logs in and
Brian> looks at his files (.profile) the owner is the user id i.e. 100 and NOT ted.

Brian> Does anyone have any comments about this. I do not believe that any one has
Brian> gotten into the system to corrupt or mess with me.

The implictation is that ted can't read /etc/passwd, and can't look up
any user ids/names.

try this

chmod 644 /etc/passwd

--