Whatcha Do During Backups?

Glenn R. Stone gs26 at prism.gatech.EDU
Tue Jun 4 07:01:17 AEST 1991

In <WG0+Y5=@cs.widener.edu> brendan at cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:

> This past weekend (month's end) made a question pop into my mind; we
>do different things to pass the time while we're doing our all-encompassing
>disk-swabbing backups, like play basketball, read, or whatever.

> What do other people do to pass the time? (Vital, administrative question.)

Sleep.

Thank goodness for 8mm tape drives and gnu tar....
Backups kick in at 0500 whilst I get in the last forty winks or so of
sleep for the night.... and, no, my tape drives are mode 700, for various
security reasons, so nobody can scribble on my dump tape before I get there.
It even unloads itself so I don't get the bright idea of doing so myself
from root.  I simply edit the config file every afternoon, run an "at"
command, and go do whatever.... so, yeah, the answer is "sleep".

-- Glenn Stone
gs26 at prism.gatech.edu