E-mail Privacy

Scott Simpers scotts at qsp.COM
Fri Jun 14 03:40:36 AEST 1991

In article <8114 at ecs.soton.ac.uk> tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) writes:
>In <3651 at happym.WA.COM> josh at happym.WA.COM (Joshua_Putnam) writes:

[...]
>Anyway, as a result I saw a message between two students that
>was clearly showing them to be cheating in an assigment by exchanging
>pieces of code.  I only saw the subject line, but it was enough.
[...]
>root (literally ;-) around further?  Tricky.
>
>Tim
>--
No, not tricky.  You either tell the students (and all users) ahead of time
that their e-mail is not private, or you MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.  You are the
system administrator, not the professor.

When you start to say "It's OK to violate someone's privacy if it was
accidental", accidents become a lot more common.

Scott Simpers
Quality Software Products                    voice: (213)410-0303
5711 W Slauson Avenue  Suite 240             fax: (213)410-0124
Culver City, CA  90230                       ...uunet!qsp!scotts