Shells for Unix Mail?

Barbara Nash barb at library.calpoly.edu
Sat Jun 1 12:10:13 AEST 1991

peregrin at hulaw1.harvard.edu elucidates:
>Hi,
>	I'm looking for suggestions for frontend shells to unix's mail.
> I'm finding that it is daunting to teach users the heavily abbreviated
>commands to unix  mail.  Something that is non-graphics based
>(vt100/200 compatible) similar (and better) to the interface you get
>with VMS mail would be nice.  A system that gives a lot of hand-holding
>would be nice too.
>	What's out there in anonymous ftp land?

elm is a sweet mail interface, fully configurable and even allowing three
levels of "competence" (beginner, intermediate, and expert).  We use it
here, as we have 70+ users who use their accounts for email only and are not
at all familiar with unix.  It's easier for them to handle the interface.

I believe it is available via anonymous ftp from uunet.uu.net, but I don't know
if they have the latest version/patches.  We are running 2.3PL11 here.

Good luck!