Tracking the volume of Mail

Christophe Wolfhugel wolf at grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
Fri Jun 7 22:57:40 AEST 1991

In article <18798 at megatest.UUCP> rekna at megatest.UUCP (Randy Bias) writes:
>Recently my boss asked me if there was a way to track incoming and outgoing
>mail messages that flow through our mailhost (both through UUCP and internally
>via smtp).  I was wondering if there is an "easy" way to do this, or if any
>programs/scripts have been written to do this.

On some Unixes there is a statistics files that indicates the mail
usage in number of kilobytes & messages.

Mail is accounted as long as the file exist.
Try creating it: touch /usr/lib/sendmail.st, being root.

To check if this is really implemented, search for a file (don't remember
if it's a script or exec) named 'mailstats', not necessarily in the
standard path.

If yes, then probably you'll have stats... I use it on AIX & SysV.

Christophe Wolfhugel    | Email: wolf at grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
INSA - Dpt Informatique | "Le progres ne vaut que s'il est partage par tous,"
Lyon, France            | "les greves aussi. Hassan Cehef: c'est penible!"