E-mail Privacy

Stephen Samuel steve at sherlock.mmid.ualberta.ca
Fri Jun 28 12:40:08 AEST 1991

In article <+J1CPAC at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <DXG4ZT at dri.com> braun at dri.com (Kral) writes:
>> In article <1991Jun14.153835.8709 at cc.curtin.edu.au> chooper at cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper) writes:
>> >case, I would have ignored it as well. It is the job of academic staff to
>> >uncover plagiarism - not mine.
>> How is this different from:
>> 	"It is the job of the police to deal with rape crimes (etc)".
>You find evidence of *that* sort of stuff, that's one thing. But plagiarism
>by a student hurts no-one but the student who misbehaves. Do you report
>someone to the police for driving without a seatbelt on?

 If I look thru somebody's window as I pass on the street and see a crime
in action, I'm not going to let the fact that it's taking place in a normally
private location stop me from responding/reporting things.

In this case, it looks like the culprits are using academic equipment to
commit an offence that could hurt the reputation of your school.
Granted -- I wouldn't go snooping around in other people's mail for proof
of academic disonesty, but if a hot potatoe lands in my lap, I'll bloody
well do something about it.

On the other side of the coin: If academic staff saw signs of a security
breach, or some other not-so obvious - but nontheless serious system problem,
wouldn't YOU like them to exclaim "Who cares.. That's for the sysadmins to
look for."?
Stephen samuel !alberta!samuels   or   userzxcv at ualtamts.bitnet
Do for others as you'd like them to do....	steve at mycroft.mmid.ualberta.ca
Don't be nice -- be compassionate. Compassion is what nice tries to look like.