remote printing from HP Unix system

Paul Hite paul at prcrs.prc.com
Sun Jun 23 11:26:28 AEST 1991

In article <gcMBnX600VoTE_bkVj at andrew.cmu.edu>, ct1x+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Ching-Ping Tseng) writes:

> However, there is one further question: The printing can be transmitted
> successfully to SUN only if it is sent by root.  Every other user receives
> 	% lp /etc/mklp (or whatever the file is)
> 	lp: Unable to set the effective group id to 10 (or the user's GID)
>
> The lpstat works fine in all cases.  It's obvious that lp can not set gid on
> execution.  But I've checked the permission mode, owner and group of all the
> related files and they all match the description in /etc/mklp.  Can someone
> give me a hint where else to look at?

I had never looked at /etc/mklp before now.  That script (as supplied by hp)
has errors.  It has set some of your permissions wrong!

> [/usr/bin]
> -r-sr-sr-x   1 lp       bin        94208 Jan 16  1990 lp*

lp should be owned by root.  I made lp owned by lp on prcrs and got the error
that you are getting.  chown it back to root.  All together you seem to have
the wrong permissions on three files.  Here is an ls -l showing the correct
permissions:

-r-sr-xr-x   1 root     bin       126976 Jan 18  1990 /usr/bin/lp
-r-sr-xr-x   1 root     bin       118784 Jan 18  1990 /usr/lib/lpadmin
-r--r--r--   1 bin      bin         4432 Oct 12  1989 /usr/spool/lp/model/rmodel

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   paul at prcrs.prc.com    (703) 556-2243
    "We are trying to bring up an Air Traffic Control display on an X window
      terminal and there seems to be some problems." -- from comp.windows.x