Advice, opinions, and ideas sought.

Mike Sidman mike at snowhite.EEAP.CWRU.Edu
Wed Jun 26 15:59:43 AEST 1991

Greetings all.

I have two issues, and would appreciate any replies, whether it be
email or posted.  The two issues are aimed at an academic institution.

The first deals with the distribution of accounts.  I am wondering
if any of you have a policy for giving out accounts on a departmental
UNIX machine.  For example, if a student says he/she wants an account,
what is an exceptable explanation for their request?  Also, what type
of storage limits do you impose on users that are essentially guests,
or not the main users of a network?

The second deals with security.  How would you monitor or approach
person "A" if a different person (person "B" - friend, curious quasi-
hacker, etc.) is utilizing person "A"'s account?

Thanks for your time.

Michael

P.S. - Just to be safe, my posting is no way an official post of the
Department of Electrical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University,
the City of Cleveland, the State of Ohio and its correctional facilites,
the United States Government, United Nations, the Sununu Frequent Flier
Program, or the Danny Quayle School for the Giftedd.

Michael C. Sidman                               | mike at snowhite.eeap.cwru.edu
Electrical Engineering and Applied Physics      |____________________________
Case Western Reserve University	                | "Cleveland - it's not hell,
Cleveland, Ohio 44106                           | but a damn good simulation."