E-mail Privacy

David Hoopes david at talgras.UUCP
Sat Jun 1 01:20:01 AEST 1991

In article <9tnh_wg at rpi.edu> rodney at sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) writes:
>In article <1991May30.203700.25025 at amd.com> phil at brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
  [stuff deleted]
>>But since the sender wrote the memo in the first place, is
>>this really a violation of privacy in the sense that the sender
>>would learn something he didn't already know?
>
>I think so -- since the sender didn't bother to make himself a CC, he's
>really just out of luck.  If I fax something to you as my employee and
>throw away the original, can I rummage through your office when you are
>fired to get a copy of the fax?  no.
                                  ^^

Why not.  Assuming that the desk/office are on company property (assume
that the person you faxed works for the same company that you do).  What
would keep that persons ex-boss from doing just that.  Nothing.  It is
done all the time.

We keep the files of ex employees for a long time.  I have had reason to
go thru some of them to get information that I needed to complete my work
such as activeation keys, serial numbers, and passwords that where in the
care of the ex-employee.  I don't think that anyone can argue that those
things belonged to the company and that I had legitamite need for that
information.  What is differant about an inter office memo, fax, or E-Mail?
None.  It belongs to the company.  If someone has a reason to need something
in that persons old e-mail restore it and go thru it.