Mysterious security hole

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Sat Jun 22 15:02:43 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun18.165128.10031 at iWarp.intel.com> merlyn at iWarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
> In article <MSH-XC+ at cs.widener.edu>, brendan at cs (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
  [ on not having . in $PATH ]
> |  It took some getting used to, but after about a month I got myself
> | into the pattern of doing this .. and have found it completely
> | impossible to revert back. :)
> I've been doing this for over three years, even with my "everyday"
> account.

Ditto. Usually when I find broken Makefiles and scripts I go to the
trouble of fixing them and complaining to the author. For programming,
putting ./ before programs in the current directory is hardly a burden,
and when I want a program in my PATH it's because I want to use it from
any directory---not just the current one. So I ln -s home/foo/program
~/LINKS, with ~/LINKS in my path.

---Dan