Archive media choice DAT or MO?

s.desmarais sdesmara at sobeco.com
Wed Jun 12 10:09:35 AEST 1991

In <1991Jun11.001118.10538 at swdsrv.edvz.univie.ac.at> mah at wu-wien.ac.at (Michael Haberler) writes:
>In article <1991Jun9.212006.25244 at en.ecn.purdue.edu>, ghg at en.ecn.purdue.edu (George Goble) writes:
>|> The Exabyte 8mm "8500" can move at near DAT speeds.  They also have an
>|> 8200-SX which has high speed positioning, but is more cumbersome than
>Yes, but with a really bizarre positionioning method. Do you want to
>write down the record number where your backup ended? I rather have a
>file mark.

>- michael

Yup, good ol' file marks.  That's what we're using here.  We're putting file
marks on the exabyte tapes every 100M.  To restore from the end of a tape,
we just forward space file a couple of file, and start the restore from there.
Restoring from the end of an exabyte tape takes about 20 minutes.
We're keeping a list of files dumped so we know in which section of the
tape they are.

But I'd be interested in knowing more about that "record number" scheme.
--
Stephane M. Desmarais               sdesmara at sobeco.com  ou  sdesmara at sobeco.ca
Division STS - Groupe Sobeco Inc.   {uunet | mcgill-vision}!sobeco.com!sdesmara