E-mail Privacy

Leonard Erickson leonard at qiclab.scn.rain.com
Fri Jun 7 13:49:40 AEST 1991

vince at bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) writes:

>I also personally believe that snooping around anywhere
>for the hell of it just because you have the system privs to
>do so is both inappropriate and bordering on unethical.

I've had users worried about this. After telling them that I'm
going to ignore the slur on my character, I then point out that
even if I *was* the sort of person to do that, there's just too
much stuff out there.

I've had to go searching for "old" config files for some of the shared
programs on our LAN. Or worse yet, due to an *immediate* need to free
up space (the printer quees were crashing!) I've had to nuke "backup"
copies made by some software. Both fairly specific. And they both
took *hours*.

I figure it would take me *days* to snoop through all the files
(4 gigabytes is a *lot* of space, even ignoring the databases)

Leonard Erickson			leonard at qiclab.uucp
personal:	CIS: [70465,203]	70465.203 at compuserve.com
business:	CIS: [76376,1107]	76376.1107 at compuserve.com