rt > risc/6000 (actually ANSI compiler in AIX Version 3)

Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C-22 marc at stingray..austin.ibm.com
Wed Feb 28 11:38:33 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb27.210550.4826 at athena.mit.edu> jfc at athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) writes:

>I assume from this discussion that the new machine comes with an ANSI
>compiler?  Am I correct?
>

>--
>    --John Carr (jfc at athena.mit.edu)

In a word, yes.  The AIX XL C Compiler is an ANSI compiler which is included
in AIX Version 3 for Risc System/6000.  The .cfg file has stanzas for xlc and
cc, where xlc has -D_ANSI_C_SOURCE defined and a cc stanza where it handles
extended mode programs.  xlc for ANSI, cc for extended (which I take as a
superset of ANSI).

Extra disclaimer:  I couldn't find exactly how IBM is describing exactly what
constitutes ANSI (my copy is a draft from May 13,1988.  Did it pass?).  Anyway
it handles prototypes and pragmas and stringize and that ilk - ANSI things.

Marc Stephenson (marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com)
DISCLAIMER: The content of this posting is independent of official IBM position.
External: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!stingray.austin.ibm.com!marc
Internal: marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com 	VNET: MARC at AUSVM6  T/L: 793-3796