Risc System/6000

Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C-22 marc at stingray..austin.ibm.com
Tue Feb 20 11:43:06 AEST 1990

*********************  DISCLAIMER *************************
*   The following posting is done on my own to provide    *
*   a source of information for people interested in the  *
*   RISC System/6000.  Nothing that follows should be     *
*   considered a stance, statement, or position by IBM.   *
*   Contact your IBM representative to get an authorized  *
*   position.  I just work here.                          *
******************  End  of Disclaimer ********************

There has been some speculation and confusion in this newgroup about
what comes with a Risc System/6000 system.  Hopefully, that confusion
may be alleviated by an available document:

There is a document available from IBM called the 'Risc System/6000 Quick
Pricer' (document number G320-9881-0) which provides information on
the RISC System/6000 family and AIX Version 3 for RISC System/6000
and US prices.  Requests for copies of that publication should be made
to your IBM Authorized Dealer or your IBM Marketing Representative.
The prices in the document are NOT to be used in lieu of those in
the Sales Manual, HONE Configurator, INFOLink, or announcement letters.

Anyway, the above-mentioned document contains unofficial prices, as
all the information is subject to change.  Now that that is laid out,
the Quick Pricer says that for a $12,995 POWERstation 320 Desktop Workstation
you get:

 (Under a heading which states that the configuration includes Ethernet,
  keyboard, 3-button mouse, AIX Version 3 for RISC System/6000 (1-2 user),
  and graphical user interface),
 1. POWERstation 320, 1280x1024 19" Mono Display, Grayscale Graphics
	   Display Adapter, 8 MB RAM, and 120 MB Disk

The graphical user interfaces mentioned in the document are AIXwindows
Environment/6000 and AIX NextStep Environment/6000.  I don't know if the
configuration would include your choice of these or what (call your IBM
rep).

No FORTRAN compiler is supplied with the base OS.  FORTRAN, COBOL, Pascal,
and Ada are listed in the back as separate items.

Hope this helps, but like I said, nothing I posted is official.  Yes,
I might be paranoid about it, but I want it to be perfectly clear.

Marc Stephenson (marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com)
Location: F57/992, (79)3-3796, ZIP 2401, 1C-22/992, Austin, Texas
Internal: marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com		VNET: MARC at AUSVM6
External: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!stingray.austin.ibm.com!marc