Risc System/6000

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Fri Feb 23 09:20:48 AEST 1990

 >> > IBM announced industry-leading graphical user interfaces . . .
 >> > available as separate licensed programs.  Customers can choose the
 >> > interface most applicable to their environments.
 >>
 >> At extra cost
 >Yep, since they allow you to choose Ethernet or Token-Ring adapters,
 >these are optional items.  In addition, you can configure the machine
 >as an asynch timesharing machine, which a host of asynch adapters.  So
 >I don't think it's unreasonable to do it this way.

Uhh, while it may be legitimate to have a GUI be an add-on product for a
machine that can be sold as an asynch timesharing machine, I fail to see
what the fact that network interfaces are optional has to do with the
fact that the GUI is optional; as I'm *sure* IBM and everybody in the
audience is aware, you don't need a network interface to run X11....