Changing default ulimit on AIX PS/2

Bill Webb webb at bass.tcspa.ibm.com
Wed Feb 14 09:23:15 AEST 1990

> I am trying to increase the ulimit on my AIX PS/2 above the default
> value of 8192.  Is their some configuration file that can be changed to
> allow this?  I changed the ulim_file value in /etc/master and rebuilt
> the kernel...but to no avail.  Did not seem to make any difference at
> all. ...
> Bob Willcox                 ...!{rutgers|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!romp!obiwan!bob

The simplest way around this problem is to put the following line
(or one with whatever maximum you prefer - the units are in blocks)
I tend to want to get rid of the limit entirely which is essentially what

filesize=1000000

You will need to reboot after making the change to have it take effect
(sorry about that).

You can also make a per user limit in the appropriate field in the
/etc/passwd file - we don't use that method since we share passwd files
amoung a number of different machines running different versions of
Unix and AIX. According to the Technical Reference manual the format
for the additional data entry (other systems call this the comment or
gecos field) is:
	fill_name/file_limit;site_info;site_exec_perm

For more information see page 3-122 and 3-123 of the AIX Operating System
Technical Reference manual. You can probably also use the adduser command
to make the change as well.