Risc System/6000

Keith Bierman - SPD Advanced Languages khb at chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Feb 22 13:05:59 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb21.012432.22401 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

   Then there's the business of reporting Dhrystone 1.1 numbers.  That's just
   a disgrace.

Far be it from me to defend IBM; but dhrystone 1.1 is what many of the
chip houses still use for quoting. Thus many marketing departments
feel obligated to use it. Also, the kinder gentler compiler groups
carefully detune the optimizer to make the benchmark not disappear.

IBM was quite good about reporting SPEC numbers, and complete postings
of such can be found in comp.arch.

cheers 'all
--
Keith H. Bierman    |*My thoughts are my own. !! kbierman at Eng.Sun.COM
It's Not My Fault   | MTS --Only my work belongs to Sun* kbierman%eng at sun.com

"There is NO defense against the attack of the KILLER MICROS!"
			Eugene Brooks