6000 pricing

Miles O'Neal meo at stiatl.UUCP
Fri Feb 23 09:08:28 AEST 1990

(Marc J. Stephenson) answers my questions:

Thank you! This "personal service" you are providing has done more
to get my attention that anything IBM has officially said, or anyone
else in this group has said.

I must admit I'm still skeptical, but not as much as before.

|(Miles O'Neal) writes:
|   My source, the RISC System/6000 Quick Pricer (comes with a
|   disclaimer that information was current as of 2/90 but subject
|   to change without notice), is unclear about the ultimate packaging
|   of the software.  AIX 3.0 has Ethernet and Token Ring Support, TCP/IP,
|   Mail, National Language Support, and Softcopy documentation listed
|   among "Additional Highlights".  C compiler and a "basic set of
|   application development tools," and NFS and NCS support are mentioned
|   previous to that heading.
|
|   rcp, rsh, NFS, YP, Sendmail, C, dbx, sccs, yacc, lex, curses, awk, uucp,
|   hypertext, scsi tape drivers, system admin stuff, troff?  All are there.
|   I don't know about SMTP-based mail, and I'm no expert on SCSI, so I won't
|   speculate about that.

So the QP implies it all comes with the base OS? No extra charge?

|>What about net monitoring stuff (such as traffic, netstat, etc)?
|>What about something like sar (SV) or vmstat (4.x)?
|   sar and netstat are there.  I don't see traffic or vmstat on my system.

Traffic appears to be a Sunism. It graphs ether traffic over time
to help monitor/debug a LAN. Vmstat isn't really necessary with sar
available.

|    All of what I mentioned above is part of AIX Version 3 for
|    RISC System/6000.  Several pieces are separately installable,
|    presumably because some people don't need some of the parts.
|    Separate software offerings include various Graphics, Language
|    (FORTRAN, COBOL, Pascal, & Ada), Communications (SNA, Host Connect,
|    PC Simulator, other), and Data Base (INGRES and SQL stuff).

If this is correct (and doesn't get hit by "subject to change" too soon 8^)
then one of my arguments definately goes away!

-Miles