Risc System/6000

shair at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu shair at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 21 12:39:57 AEST 1990

At the risk of being accused of advertising, I'd like to
clarify a couple of issues about disk drive support on
the desktop RIOS (POWERStation 320).

The 320 has room for the installation of two 3.5" disk
drives.  The standard configuration comes with a single
120MB ESDI drive.  This is the same drive used in the
PS/2 model 70 (23ms avg seek, 1.3MB/sec transfer)

Feature number 2120, 120MB disk drive, adds the SECOND
drive for $1,950.  The configurations including that have
had a total of 240MB.

Alternatively one can purchase Feature number 2828
(SCSI adapter) for $1,200 and Feature number 2541
(Select 320MB disk) for $3,000.  These two features
provide one high-performance (12.5ms avg seek, 2MB/sec xfer)
320MB disk.

Once one has the SCSI adapter, any number of other interesting
devices can be installed, including (exclusive of cable costs)
Second 320MB disk 	$5,500
External CD ROM		$1,695
External QIC tape	$1,995
External 8mm tape	$6,650
(but this is really beginning to look like advertising...)

The 120MB disks do NOT take one of the microchannel slots,
so systems with these disks, display and ethernet have two
slots open.  The SCSI adapter would take one of them if 320MB
disks are used.  Having one of each disk type appears to be a
valid configurations.  My own machine has a 320 and a 120.