No support for AIX/RT

Jeffrey R. Tunison tunison at rice.edu
Fri Feb 16 17:48:09 AEST 1990

I attended the RISC System 6000/rollout today. While VERY
impressed with what they have done with the new product
family, I discovered that my fears were well-founded:

        AIX/RT is stuck at 2.2.1

The word from my IBM contacts was that (forced-grin):
"No, sorry, don't expect any further upgrades for AIX/RT.
Maybe a few APAR fixes."

I am suprised that there has not yet been traffic on this
newsgroup relating to this quandry. We were recently given
28 PC/RT's for our engineering school network and are charged
with making the best use of them possible. I am sure that there
are a fair number of you out there who are in the same boat.

This board is going to become more and more important to me
if operating system fixes and serious IBM support are going
to wither away inside of the next six months. I will make a
serious effort to post useful sys-admin tips/discoveries that
I come across. I hope others will too.

A short while ago someone posted a request for anonymous ftp
sites. I am interested in the same question and would like to
see what that person received. I will see if I can allocate
some disk space to establish a ftp site here if I can convince
my superiors that the need is there and that we can benefit
from such an effort.

Jeffrey Tunison
Systems Programmer
Networking and Computing Systems