Risc System/6000

Jason Martin Levitt jason at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 20 11:00:03 AEST 1990

In article <5098 at brazos.Rice.edu> schafer at brazos.rice.edu (Richard A. Schafer) writes:
>I just signed on IBMLINK and ran a configuration on the standard grayscale
>configuration.  I don't come up with the $12,995 price, but did produce the
>following configuration:
>
>Powerstation 320   $7475
>120MB disk         $1950
>Grayscale adapter  $1395
>keyboard           $ 255
>mouse              $ 130
>mono display       $1295
>                   ------ Hardware total, $12,500
>AIX 3.0            $1250
>AIX Xwindows       $ 500
>                   ------ Software total, $ 1,750
>                          Package total,  $14,250

Let's get real on these prices folks. A 120 MB disk? That *might*
work if your user directories are mounted with NFS.  I don't know the exact
numbers, but I bet after AIX 3.x and Xwindows is loaded plus swap
space, 120MB is barely adequate.

Add a SCSI adapter and large hard disk please == $$$$$.

I doubt IBM will have their diskless version working well for quite a
while. Anyone know the exact disk space requirements? Recommended swap
space?

    ---Jason
-----

Jason Martin Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055
Internet : jason at cs.utexas.edu            | "Toroidal carbohydrate modules?
UUCP     : ...cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |  Make mine glazed!"
BIX      : jlevitt                        |            -- Zippy