rt > risc/6000

Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C-22 marc at stingray..austin.ibm.com
Tue Feb 27 03:46:26 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb25.065535.25717 at acheron.uucp> clarke at acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) writes:
>I compiled nntp (clientlib.o) and vn with the nntp option on a 6000.
>It works ... except that command line parsing is screwed up.  I'll
>take a look at it when I get a chance.  Note! The c compiler won't
>let you do perverted things like store into a string constant.  I
>had to use the AIX tmpnam rather than the vn version.

ANSI allows compilers to store string constants in read-only storage, and
that is what the compiler is doing.  For some situations where it is not
feasible to change the code to an acceptable form (character arrays, for
instance), there is an option for the compiler to put the string constants
in read-write storage.  This option is -qnoro.  That is, just use
    cc -qnoro hello.c -o hello
to disable the read-only string storage mechanism.

Marc Stephenson (marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com)
Location: F57/992, (79)3-3796, ZIP 2401, 1C-22/992, Austin, Texas
Internal: marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com		VNET: MARC at AUSVM6
External: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!stingray.austin.ibm.com!marc