Risc System/6000

Phil Windley/20000000 windley at cheetah.ucdavis.edu
Thu Feb 22 04:45:31 AEST 1990

In article <1148 at gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason at cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:

   Let's get real on these prices folks. A 120 MB disk? That *might*
   work if your user directories are mounted with NFS.  I don't know the exact
   numbers, but I bet after AIX 3.x and Xwindows is loaded plus swap
   space, 120MB is barely adequate.

   Add a SCSI adapter and large hard disk please == $$$$$.

   I doubt IBM will have their diskless version working well for quite a
   while. Anyone know the exact disk space requirements? Recommended swap
   space?

First you complain about 120Mb being too small and then you want diskless.
I've used RT's with a 70MB disk with user files NFS mounted.  I'd rather
have thsi configuration than a diskless product.  System stuff goes much
faster.

Of course big disks cost money, but that's true of any system.  So what's
your gripe?

Phil Windley                          |  windley at cheetah.ucdavis.edu
Division of Computer Science          |  ucbvax!ucdavis!cheetah!windley
University of California, Davis       |
Davis, CA 95616                       |  (916) 752-6452 (or 3168)