I've played with one (was Re: Risc System/6000

J. Eric Townsend jet at karazm.math.uh.edu
Fri Feb 23 04:18:04 AEST 1990

In article <504 at siswat.UUCP> buck at siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
>"You can't go in there because of the lights."  I start to open another door,
>but some really weird sounds are coming from inside.  The room is pitch
>black, rock music is blaring, people are packed standing room only, a smoke
>machine is pumping out clouds over the audience, and there is some laser
>light show being displayed on the front curtains.  As a guy next to me said,
>"I don't know whether to sit down or ask someone to dance!" I was repelled
>by this show and left without even waiting for the presentation.  I was told
>this show lasted something like ten minutes.  Sorry, I came in the middle of
>a work day to get product information, not to waste time at some mobile
>disco.  This was the most unprofessional display I have ever experienced
>from IBM.  Did IBM inflict this dog and pony show on the entire country, or
>were we in Houston just "lucky?"

They did this in the morning as well, but with no smoke.

I didn't mind too much, except the music was *horribly* produced.
Cuts were not on time, beats were wrong, and levels were off in who
knows where.  The "laser show" consisted of a few squiggles on a
screen.  It was far to dark for us to eat the free lunches for which IBM
must have paid at least least $1.50 apiece.

Oh well.  I was amused, but that was about it.

--
J. Eric Townsend
University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
jet at karazm.math.uh.edu
Skate UNIX(tm).