Risc System/6000

Ronald S. Woan woan at peyote.cactus.org
Wed Feb 21 17:43:55 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb21.012432.22401 at ico.isc.com>, rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> ron at woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan/2100000) writes:
> ...[price info deleted]
> > Not a bad price, even so, considering 27.5 MIPS (peak 100) and
> > 7.5MFLOPS. That works out to be $543.45/MIP system cost which is the
> > lowest in the industry, even among name brand 386/486 PCs, I believe.
>
> Let me start by saying that the new IBM boxes look like they'll actually
> come in at believable prices when they're available.  That nicety out of
> the way,...
>
> 27.5 MIPS is a junk number.  There is no useful meaning to "MIPS" which

You are definitely right. I didn't look to carefully at how they came up with
the numbers and Dhrystone 1.1 is definitely a wimpy way to go (yeah, I can
flame my cohorts). Anyway, I got a little carried away at the marketing hype
and the numbers that Data General loves to quote. But a better mark I guess
would be the SPECS 20-30 (I believe), so for the $12995 deal in the Wall Street
Journal (is this a limited time offer or where did they arrive at that price?)
you get a system at $650/SPEC or so. Why are SPECs the geometric mean rather
than average by the way?

As with all hardware, try before you buy; I think that you will be impressed
especially with the graphics workstation model. One last marketing slogan
before I go that seems a little more apt than the buck/MIP stuff: "buy a
solution not just a hunk of hardware."

As for the question of service, I think that we are really commited to it
this time and are improving problem and system tracking as well as beefing
up trained personnel. Some people don't realize it, but internal IBM'ers
have to call the same service people as our customers, so for our own
sakes I know we are trying our best (yeah, I've fried an RT and two mice in
last eight months and some of the service personnel never seemed to
have heard of an RT, not much enough units out there I guess).

					My apologies all,
					Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan         @cs.utexas.edu:romp!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ second choice:                                     woan at peyote.cactus.org +