Risc System/6000

Ronald S. Woan/2100000 ron at woan.austin.ibm.com
Tue Feb 20 07:47:10 AEST 1990

>From the marketing announcement that I have, it looks like a base
workstation package will run $14,250+$695=$14945 for the base desktop
model with (8MB RAM, 120MB Hard Disk, Keyboard, Mouse, AIX3,
AIXwindows, NFS, 4-bit greyscale adapter, 19-inch monochrome monitor).
I assume that, as was with the RT, manuals and all such are included
with this. Oh yeah, one year warranty (not bad considering the 90day
standard) tossed in with all this.

Not a bad price, even so, considering 27.5 MIPS (peak 100) and
7.5MFLOPS. That works out to be $543.45/MIP system cost which is the
lowest in the industry, even among name brand 386/486 PCs, I believe.
Data General seems to be runnerup with their 88K based system. Remeber
IBM also offers the JMB and NeXtStep interfaces (additional charge,
but available).

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron at woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan at peyote.cactus.org +