AIX 1.1 for PS2: broken 'tar' in PTF MMPP1042.

Francis Demierre francis at hslrswi.UUCP
Tue Feb 27 04:12:39 AEST 1990

IBM AIX 1.1 for IBM PS2
=======================

I recently installed the PTF (Program Temporary Fix) number MMPP1042 for
AIX 1.1.0 on our IBM PS2/80 and I had the bad surprise to see that a new tar
(broken !) is part of this corrective service.

The file /MEMO_TO_USER which was left after installation of AIX 1.1 on PS2/80
contained the following paragraph about the 'tar' command:

> AIX PS/2 OPERATING SYSTEM COMMANDS REFERENCE (SC23-2025)
>

> Tar Command
>
> The description of the "tar" command in the Commands Reference  shows  incor-
> rect flags for the command.
>
> The  following  flags under the heading "Command Reference" should be changed
> in practice to the corresponding flag under the heading "Actual Flag":
>
>   Actual Flag  Command Reference  Description of Use
>   -----------  -----------------  ------------------
>       -C               -N         Use Large Clusters of Blocks.
>       -h               -i         Ignores Header Checksum Errors.
>       -H               -h         Follow Symbolic Link.
>       -i               -L         Archive Files Listed in Inputlist.
>       -s               -S         Specify Tape Size.

This was fair as it was correcting the flags so they were compatible with the
ones used on RT AIX.

BUT:
The 'tar' present on the update diskettes is reverted to the old 'exotic'
flags described in the column "Command Reference".

Your best bet is probably to save the file '/bin/tar' before applying the
update and restore it once you have finished.

If it is already done, the './bin/tar' can be restored (on '/') from the
original 'Operating system ' diskette of AIX 1.1 distribution with:

   cd /
   restore -vxf /dev/fd0 ./bin/tar

It is on volume 2 or 3, I can't remember righjt now.

Hope this helps.

PS: IBM listening ?