Risc System/6000 (120MB disk feasibility)

Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C-22 marc at stingray..austin.ibm.com
Sat Feb 24 02:27:16 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb23.004045.26109 at sun.soe.clarkson.edu> abstine at image.soe.clarkson.edu (Arthur Stine) writes:
>From article <1596 at awdprime.UUCP>, by marc at stingray..austin.ibm.com (Marc J. Stephenson):
>> [My ill-fated video counter example]
>>
>Is this to say that IBM thinks that people who need terminals at video
>checkout counters are going to buy RS/6000's? Come on, lets be real. If
>you want to be in that market, then fine. But if you want to be in the
>tech workstation market, then package the systems for it. The price/performance
>of the RS/6000 is nice, but the configuration is not. Throw away the ESDI and
>[diskless and SCSI recommendations deleted in the interest of space]
>
>--
>Art Stine
>Sr Network Engineer
>Clarkson U
>ABStine at CLVMS.Clarkson.Edu

Disclaimer:  I'm not in marketing and I can't say what market IBM is heading
for.  I'm a developer well-shielded from any of those decisions, and any
marketing directions which I opine about are truly my own.  All of the
development machines which my little area here use have SCSI and 16MB,
various tape drives, and Token-Ring.  Most of them are various forms of the
530 box.  I like them.  <-- Opinion :-)

Anyway, there are "oodles" of configurations available.  I would hope that
we have good solutions at good prices for the various computing situations
where workstations compete.  Seriously.

By the way, the video checkout example (though I may have the facts a little
off, maybe they're doing video checkout and quantum mechanics :-)) is a
real-life RT example running COBOL.   What I meant was that there is a
market aside from the techie market.  I'm sure that my upper-level management
understands that the techie market is extremely important.

But once again, I'm no marketeer.  Let me escape back to the technical
questions, please...

As an aside, a lot of these questions have to do with the hardware rather than
AIX.  The comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt newgroup is being used along with this one for
hardware and system information.  I would hope that we will soon have enough
interest and questions to merit a new newsgroup for this information.  Neither
current newsgroup seems the proper place for this particular posting.  Anybody
want to take responsibility, or is it too soon?
start
Marc Stephenson (marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com)
Location: F57/992, (79)3-3796, ZIP 2401, 1C-22/992, Austin, Texas
Internal: marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com		VNET: MARC at AUSVM6
External: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!stingray.austin.ibm.com!marc