6000 pricing

Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C-22 marc at stingray..austin.ibm.com
Thu Feb 22 02:55:37 AEST 1990

In article <9077 at stiatl.UUCP> meo at stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
[ stuff about hardware configurations and prices deleted ]

>And what is the resolution of that mono display? The size?
   1280x1024, 19", displays 16 shades of gray, palette of 256, with
   2D draw rate of 72,000 lines/second.

>Now, what comes with the software? TCP/IP, I assume (what about rcp,
>rsh (or rcmd), and the other remote commands?) What about
>NFS? YP? SMTP-based mail? Sendmail? Developers' software (C, dbx,
>sccs, yacc, lex, curses, etc)? Awk? uucp? An online, hypertext
>information system? System administration package? SCSI tape
>drivers? Easy addition of non-IBM SCSI disks? Troff?
   My source, the RISC System/6000 Quick Pricer (comes with a
   disclaimer that information was current as of 2/90 but subject
   to change without notice), is unclear about the ultimate packaging
   of the software.  AIX 3.0 has Ethernet and Token Ring Support, TCP/IP,
   Mail, National Language Support, and Softcopy documentation listed
   among "Additional Highlights".  C compiler and a "basic set of
   application development tools," and NFS and NCS support are mentioned
   previous to that heading.

   rcp, rsh, NFS, YP, Sendmail, C, dbx, sccs, yacc, lex, curses, awk, uucp,
   hypertext, scsi tape drivers, system admin stuff, troff?  All are there.
   I don't know about SMTP-based mail, and I'm no expert on SCSI, so I won't
   speculate about that.

>What about net monitoring stuff (such as traffic, netstat, etc)?
>What about something like sar (SV) or vmstat (4.x)?
   sar and netstat are there.  I don't see traffic or vmstat on my system.

>Which version of X are they supporting? How do they do on the X
>benchmark that's been out on the net? Which X libraries do they provide?
   Quick Pricer doesn't say much about AIXwindows Environment/6000.
   The Xstation 120 information mentions version 11 release 3.

>In the past, IBM has been real big on unbundling (not that they
>are the only ones). What did they do this time? In other words,
>if we are going to compare the new RT++ to a Sun (or DEC, DG, HP,
>whatever), let's be sure and compare equivalent systems.
    All of what I mentioned above is part of AIX Version 3 for
    RISC System/6000.  Several pieces are separately installable,
    presumably because some people don't need some of the parts.
    Separate software offerings include various Graphics, Language
    (FORTRAN, COBOL, Pascal, & Ada), Communications (SNA, Host Connect,
    PC Simulator, other), and Data Base (INGRES and SQL stuff).
>Finally, has anybody done any independent benchmarks? I'd like to
>see some comparisons against the competition by someone other than
>IBM.
C    heck out the SPec (sp?) numbers.
>AN ASIDE
>What about (yuk) DOS? Software (and hardware if necessary)
>to run DOS. It's gross, I know, but it comes with some other
>systems (or is available) and some people need it.
    I'm unsure about the offerings in this area.  There is a PC
    Simulator (AIX Personal Computer Simulator 6000) available.

>-Miles O'Neal
>{yr fave backbone here}!emory!stiatl!meo

    As I've mentioned before, all of the information supplied is done on
    my own as a service, and should not be used to replace any information
    which is available through an authorized IBM Representative.  All
    information supplied is subject to change without notice.

Marc Stephenson (marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com)
Location: F57/992, (79)3-3796, ZIP 2401, 1C-22/992, Austin, Texas
Internal: marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com		VNET: MARC at AUSVM6
External: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!stingray.austin.ibm.com!marc