Is NFS available for AIX?

John Garnett garnett at a.cs.okstate.edu
Mon Jan 15 08:57:56 AEST 1990

In article <992 at wubios.wustl.edu> david at wubios.UUCP (David J. Camp) writes:
>Is NFS available for AIX, either as Public Domain or Commercial
>software?  Is it in the distribution for IBM?  The 'mount' command's
>documentation does not seem to mention any support for remote
>filesystems.  I really need this in order to make AIX work for me, so I
>will appreciate any responses.  -David-

NFS is available as a standard AIX LPP.  NFS is documented in either
chapter 11 or 12 of the _Managing the AIX Operating System_ manual.
The same "mount" command is used for both local and remote mounts
(both NFS and DS).  Once NFS is correctly installed, you can issue a
command similar to the following to remote mount a directory:

mount -n waterloo -v nfs /u /waterloo/u

The argument to -n is the TCP/IP nodename of the remote host.  The
argument to -v is the type of virtual file system being used (either
NFS or IBM's DS).  You can set the default argument to -v by editing
the file named /etc/vfs.  In the above example /u refers to a remote
directory and /mnt refers to the local mount point.

I believe that NFS is also available with AIX PS/2 1.2.  The command
syntax is slightly different for AIX PS/2:

mount waterloo:/u /waterloo/u

Make sure that the remote host has its /etc/exports file set up to
allow your host remote mount permission.

--
John Garnett                           Computing and Information Sciences
                                       Oklahoma State University