remote printing and qdaemon

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Sat Jan 6 03:49:51 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan5.045831.10778 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ben at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Ben Fried) writes:
>I've got a small cluster of AIX machines, and would like to be able to
>print to a printer hanging off an Ultrix or SunOS system.  I haven't
>found anything in the manuals on using remote lpd-based printers from AIX,
>and haven't gotten anywhere with adding stanzas to the qconfig
>file.

Ben,
	This is simply done. The addition of a stanza to the qconfig file
is the solution, the trick is that you must use the right backend. What
I have done in the field before is add a new printer stanza called netlp
or some such thing, make the argument -net (that way print -net will give
you the network print spool). Then for a backend use /etc/lprbe. I think
the only flag needed is -pserver=host, where host is the name of the
print server you want. I am not sure if there is a man page for this
beast or not. When I set it up I did a strings on the binary to determine
the various flags. But I did have remote printing to a Sun server working
just fine.

Good Luck!

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and not necessarily IBM's or LCC's.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu