AIX/370 and TCF?

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Tue Jan 2 10:06:31 AEST 1990

In article <270 at axecore.UUCP> jonathan at axecore.UUCP (Jonathan Eunice) writes:
>It was my impression that AIX/370, as well as TCF for AIX/370 and AIX
>PS/2, were supposed to become available in the 4th quarter of 1989.
>The quarter has come and gone, but I haven't heard whether these
>products actually arrived.  Does anyone know the situation?
>If they have arrived, any idea of the pricing?

I don't know whether there has been an official IBM press release on this
subject or not (i.e.,whether AIX370 would be available 4th quarter 89), I
know it was the goal. Neither is this to be taken as an official statement,
but I believe general availablity is now targeted as end of 1st quarter 1990.
You would be better off, however to pester your IBM representative for an
official word.

>Also, I was told that AIX/370 won't be particularly effective on the
>smaller 370 systems such as the 43xx and the 9370s.  Can someone tell me
>whether this is true, and why?

Who told you this?? "effective" is a relative term, certainly AIX won't
be as fast on say a 4361 or 9370 model 60 as it would on a 3090, but that
is not to say it is not perfectly useable. It is more a matter of effective
for what. On a 3090 it is feasible to run multiple virtual AIX systems and
support hundreds of users, on a 9370 this number will dwindle but still be
respectable. The main consideration is whether your 370 is XA or not, if
not we are talking about a 16Meg virtual address space, if it is XA we
have 2Gig; so the XA systems can run larger processes, they also typically
have more main storage and thus do less swapping/paging. A high-end (that is
to say dual-processor and maxed memory) 4381 running VM/XA is a very usable
AIX platform. With GA I believe IBM will be publishing some relative
performance data that should make evaluation of what hardware will be
suitable for what requirements, so again, talk to your IBM salesperson.

Happy New Year!!

Disclaimer: These are my opinions not official IBM or LCC statements!

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu