TTY line problem

Johann Schweigl johnny at edvvie.at
Thu Jan 4 09:37:21 AEST 1990

>From article <3694 at nmtsun.nmt.edu>, by peter at hydrovax.nmt.edu (Peter A. Blemel):
> In article <48200002 at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, guarna at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes...
>>... Everything
>>seems to work fine until I turn the terminal off.  When I turn it on later
>>to try and use the terminal again, the line won't communicate.

We had similar problems with a model 125 and 135. In our case, excessive noise
was the cause. When a 3151 was switched off, the respective 3-wire RS232
line was a kind of antenna. Seems the terminal leaves the line ends open when
not turned on. First action was to use shielded wire and connect everything
to ground that *SHOULD* be grounded. That reduced the problems reasonably.
Second, we switched to RS422. Since then, we have no trouble of this kind.
--
This does not reflect the   | Johann  Schweigl | DOS?
opinions of my employer.    | johnny at edvvie.at | Kind of complicated