problem starting X server

Carl Schaefer schaefer at ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jan 18 11:25:58 AEST 1990

I'm having a problem getting X to run on a PS/2 model 70 (8514/A video
card, 8507 monitor).  I've installed AIX 1.1 and the X product (which
built a new kernel), but when I try to start X I get:

    Cannot determine current device for X screen
    Possible problems: remote execution, no active
    tty, or running in background on old kernel.
    Retry by specifying a screen option on the command
    line (Eg '-mpel') or by running in foreground.
    Check out the documentation if all else fails.

    Goodbye!
    :Error 0

Anybody with a fix, suggestions for a fix, or some idea about what the
problem might be is invited to send me some email.

thanks for any help,
Carl