Info sought on raw ethernet access

Pete Gregory pete at bally.Bally.COM
Fri Jan 12 16:27:31 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan7.212732.12668 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> micky at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Micky Liu) writes:
>We are running AIX/PS2 1.1 on a bunch of model 80's with UB ethernet cards.
>Is there any documentation on how to access the raw ethernet or even a manual
>page for device net0?  We are experimenting with some new protocols and need
>to read/write directly from/to the ethernet card.  Any information would be
>greatly appreciated.

I might get in trouble for posting this, but IBM themselves have the answer.
We needed to be able to write directly to ethernet (so we could communicate
with a PDP-11 running RSTS 9.6 - no TCP or IP available  :-(  ).  We kept
pounding our SE (in a FRIENDLY, persistent manner), telling him we had no
alternative (which was true).

After six weeks, we were put in contact with someone in Texas (who I
cannot betray under penalty of death!), who provided us with a file called
bio_dd.h, along with example programs on how to read and write to the
ethernet.

Out of respect for IBM, see your SE and have him get you that .h file.
I know it exists - I've seen it.  Good luck...

Pete Gregory   : uucp:   uunet!bally!pete            |
Software Engr. : domain: pete at bally.bally.com     ---|---
Bally Systems  : phone:  702-323-6156 x882           |         John 3:16
255 Bell St.   : FAX:    702-323-5997                |     (think about it!)
Reno, NV 89503