Paging-space problems

Richard M. Mathews richard at locus.com
Tue Nov 13 17:14:39 AEST 1990

staff at cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:

>On AIX 3, things are worse.  It appears that malloc() does succeed, BUT
>then "system paging space" gets low, and funny things happen.

It seems that some customers insist on this behavior because they malloc
huge areas which are only sparsely used.  They want to have a virtual
process size much greater than the paging space of the system.  At least
that is what I was told when I was asked to write the SIGDANGER code for
AIX 1.x.

Richard M. Mathews			Freedom for Lithuania
Locus Computing Corporation		       Laisve!
richard at locus.com
lcc!richard at seas.ucla.edu
...!{uunet|ucla-se|turnkey}!lcc!richard